Updating AD group membership if the user has a mobilenumber

Background:

So I was at a customers location and well we got talking about scripts. They had the need for a script that populates a group if the user has a cellphone number configured and remove him the number is removed after.
They had already a script that did it. The script did what was needed but I felt there was room for improvement, so I got rid of a try catch where the catch was empty. That is just as bad as ON ERROR RESUME NEXT from the old VBScript days. Anyway I thought later there has got to be a better way of doing this.

The old way:

This is a compressed version written from memory.

The improved way:

So why not just be happy. Well there is still performance improvements and let the DC do the heavy lifting. Lets start using LDAPFilter.

But I only want user from one part of my AD

Okay so now we got new requirements of course but that is really simple. Lets just instruct the Get-ADUser to search only in one part using SearchBase.

So just add the searchbase parameter and path.

Leave a Reply